One target of the Saudi vision 2030 is Digital Infrastructure Development. Public-private partnerships are highlighted in the Vision as a method to develop the telecommunication and information technology sectors in the Kingdom. The commitments include strengthening the governance of digital transformation through a national council, and supporting local investments in telecommunication and information technology. Cybersecurity is a vital component of any digital transformation in terms of protecting the data and the infrastructure, which is a big concern for government, public, and private sectors. Cybercrime is a growing industry. It threatens not only national security but also the economic security. Cyber-attacks have been increasing in the last decade, consequently innovative countermeasures are necessary to handle and cope with such attacks. Preparing and educating Saudi employees is a vital part in this digital transformation movement. Cybersecurity unit motivates, educates and trains new generation of cybersecurity researchers and professionals to produce experts in cyber technologies and systems. The unit fosters several collaborations with national and international security research groups and centers, governmental agencies, companies and academic institutions with the purpose of excellence in security solutions outcomes. Overall, Cybersecurity unit aims to contribute significantly in providing educational, research, outreach, and partnering security services nationally and internationally.
Unit Vision and Mission
Cybersecurity unit is looking to contribute significantly to deliver the vision and mission of the innovation centre PSU-IC and consequently the Saudi initiatives of 2020.
The cybersecurity unit aims to provide educational, research, outreach, and partnering services. These include, but not limited to:
- UO1: Enrich security awareness and readiness in Saudi culture
- UO2: New facility for a growing curriculum of undergraduate and graduate cybersecurity courses
- UO3: University publicity
- UO4: Consultation Services ( Governments & industry needs)
- UO5: Training services
- UO6: Hosting/organizing conferences, symposiums, workshops and competitions
- UO7: Research/MSE proposals
- UO8: Software security solutions products including: testing tools, datasets and security services
- UO9: Projects ( funded [national or international] or joint)
- UO10: Patents
- UO11: E4E (Education for Employment): Job opportunities
- UO12: Publications