Article 5

  • Undergraduate study follows the academic level system.
  • Undergraduate study comprises a minimum of eight levels.
  • The duration of an academic level is one semester.
  • Students are promoted successively from one academic level to another, in accordance with the promotion rules.

The Rules of Implementation for Article 5

  • The student is responsible for understanding and following academic rules and regulations including graduation requirements. Guidance and assistance from academic advisors does not relieve the student of this responsibility. Therefore, every student should be thoroughly familiar with all academic regulations pertaining to the granting of academic degrees. He/She regularly should familiarize him/herself with new academic regulations; in this regard he/she may consult the department chairman or the academic advisor regarding these regulations.
  • The financial rules and regulations stated in Appendix D must be followed.
  • The University assigns an academic advisor to each student for assistance in matters that relate to academic progress, such as:
    1. Selecting the academic major that best suits the student’s preferences and capabilities.
    2. Understanding and interpreting the academic regulations.
    3. Informing the student of the sequence of the required and elective courses and suggesting suitable elective courses.
    4. Following up on the academic progress of the student.
    5. Assisting in early registration and the various stages of registration.
    6. Assisting in course substitution, if and when necessary.

The academic advisor is chosen from the faculty members of the department or the college. The academic advisor for the PYP students is the director of the PYP or someone appointed by him/her or acting on his/her behalf.

Registration Procedures:

Early Registration

Early registration for the courses taken in the second semester starts at the mid-point of the first semester; early registration for the courses in the summer and the first semester of the coming year starts at the mid-point of the second semester. Early registration is required of all students enrolling in that semester. A student is allowed to change his/her early registration course choices, provided he/she consults with his/her academic advisor.

Dropping and Adding Courses

A student may change his/her schedule by adding or dropping courses after consulting with his/her academic advisor. He/She also may add courses during the first week of the semester (during the first three days for the summer session). A course may be dropped during the first two weeks of the semester (during the first week for the summer session) without affecting the student’s academic record. In either case, the following condition must be met:

Dropping a Course

  • The course load must not be less than the minimum required for registration. (See the rules of implementation under Article 8.)
  • If the course to be dropped is a co requisite, the student either must drop both co requisite courses or complete both courses concurrently.

Adding a Course

  • The course load must not exceed the maximum allowed for registration. (See the rules of implementation under Article 8.)
  • A student may add a course as long as it does not directly conflict with a course or examination in his/her schedule.
  • It is possible to register in one of the available sections of the requested course.

Changing Sections

Section assignments take into consideration the student’s new schedule, as well as the equitable distribution of students across sections. If a student wishes to change a section, he/she must adhere to the following steps:

  • He/She may choose a section that will not create a time conflict with his/her current schedule.
  • He/She must complete the change section process through the Online Electronic Registration system.
  • Change of sections must be completed only during the period determined by the Admission and Registration Deanship.

Auditing a Course:

A student may change his/her course status from credit to audit, based on the recommendation of the course instructor, as well as the approval of the department offering the course, the academic advisor, and the department of the student’s major.

To audit a course the student must take the following into consideration:

  1. A student is allowed to audit a course only in his/her last semester before graduation.
  2. A student may not audit a course required for graduation.
  3. The audit status of a course may not be converted to a credit.
  4. A transfer credit is not granted for an audited course in any subsequent semester(s).
  5. The deadline for receiving applications to change course status to audit status by the Admission and Registration Deanship is the same as the deadline for dropping course(s) with grade of “W”, as indicated in the academic calendar.

Course Substitution

A student qualifies for graduation when he/she has fulfilled all the requirements for the degree program in which he/she enrolled when admitted to the University. If he/she is unable to complete the requirements of any program (due to termination of a course, the changing of its content, or when accrediting new programs that comprise courses the student has not studied), he/she can substitute or compensate for these courses with other equivalent courses, in terms of level, content, and credit hours. The Admission and Registration Deanship must be informed of the substitution or compensation after the student has obtained the approval of the Vice Rector responsible for graduation requirements.

Repeating a Course

If a student fails a required course, he/she must repeat that course. The student also may repeat any course in which he/she obtained a “D+ or D” grade. The most recent grade, however, will reflect the student’s final grade in that course, regardless of which grade is higher. That is, if a student repeats a course in which he/she previously earned a D, and he/she subsequently receives an F, his/her grade for the course is an F, and he/she must repeat that course (if it is required in his/her degree plan). All grades, however, will be included in his/her academic record.

Academic Standing Report

At the end of each semester, the academic standing of the student, which demonstrates the student’s achievement during his/her study at the University, is determined and indicated in his/her academic record. It should be noted that summer sessions do not change a student’s academic standing. A student’s academic standing may be one of the following:

Good Academic Standing

This status is assigned to the student when he/she begins his/her studies at the University. All students are expected to maintain this standing until graduation; to be in good standing status a minimum cumulative and semester GPA of 2.00 (out of 4.00) is required.

Academic Warning

A student will be given this status after final grades have been processed at the end of each regular semester if:

  1. His/Her cumulative GPA is less than 2.00 but more than 1.00 out of 4.00.
  2. His/Her semester GPA is less than 2.00 out of 4.00

Academic Probation

A student is given this status after final grades have been processed at the end of each regular semester, if his/her cumulative GPA is less than 1.00 out of 4.00.


A student is suspended from the University for at least one semester if any of the following two cases applies:

  • He/She was on an academic warning or probation in a semester and achieved a semester GPA less than 1.50 (out of 4.00) in the following semester.
  • He/She receives three consecutive academic warnings. The Rector of the University is entitled, at his discretion and on the basis of the College Council recommendations, to grant the student the opportunity to continue his/her studies.

Ending of Academic Warning or Suspension

The status of an academic warning can be revoked after the lapse of one regular semester from the date of the warning if the student achieves a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.00 or above at the end of any semester.

A suspended student may appeal for re-enrollment within a period not less than one month from the beginning of the subsequent semester following his/her suspension. The Admission and Academic Standing Committee, in coordination with the student’s department, will consider the possibility of granting enrollment after the suspension period. The suspension period is not included in the period required for completion of the program degree.

Enrollment in the Cooperative Program

Depending on his/her major, a student may be required to work for a training period of 27 weeks (equal to 10 credit hours) in his/her specialty area, and according to his/her degree plan. A student is qualified to enroll in the cooperative program, if he/she meets the following conditions:

  • have completed more than 90 credit hours in the degree program in which he/she is registered. The cooperative program must be completed before the end of his/her last semester at the University.
  • have completed all the courses required by the department.
  • have earned a major GPA of 2.00 or above.
  • have not been suspended from the University.

The student should be in continuous contact with his/her academic advisor with regard to his/her cooperative program.

Enrollment in the Summer Training Program/Internship

Depending on his/her major, a student may be required to spend a summer training/Internship period of 100 work hours for 1 credit hour, with a maximum of 6 credit hours. The student should complete the summer training/Internship period prior to his/her last semester at the University. A student is qualified to enroll in this program, if he/she meets the following conditions:

  • have completed more than 70 credit hours in his/her degree program.
  • have not been suspended from the University.

Conferral of Two Academic Degrees

Students are encouraged to pursue only one academic degree. A student may apply, however, for two academic degrees at the same time, provided that his/her cumulative GPA is not lower than 3.50 after completing at least 32 credit hours, and upon the approval of the two department councils and the two College Councils concerned. The student will be granted the two degrees under the following conditions:

  • He/She must complete all the required courses and earn the required cumulative GPA for each degree.
  • The total credit hours completed for the two degrees should exceed the number of credit hours for the degree with the higher credit hour requirement by at least 28 hours.
  • If both majors have cooperative programs, the student may enroll in only one of them, as long as he/she compensates for the other by taking the courses specified by the two College Councils, according to the degree plans of the two academic degrees.
  • If both majors have summer training programs, the student may enroll in only one of them, upon the recommendation of the two concerned College Councils.

If a student wishes to earn another degree after graduation (having earned an academic degree from the University), he/she may apply to the Admission and Academic Standing Committee.

Declaring a Minor – Students in the College of Business Administration can declare a “minor” in addition to their “major” field of study, with the following conditions:

  • Student’s CGPA must be 2.50 (out of 4.00) or higher.
  • The student should have successfully completed at least 60 credit hours from the academic study plan of his major.
  • The student can join only one minor (it must be different from his major).
  • The student must complete at least 15 credit hours (extra to the 135 credit hours of his major). These courses are as follows:
Minor Accounting Finance Marketing Aviation Management
Required Courses ACC 202 FIN 350 MKT 310 AVM 201
ACC 211 FIN 370 MKT 320 AVM 310
ACC --- FIN --- MKT --- AVM ---
ACC --- FIN --- MKT --- AVM ---
ACC --- FIN --- MKT --- AVM ---
  • In addition to the two above pre-specified mandatory courses in every minor, the student in the particular minor must study three additional courses in the major to satisfy the requirements of the minor which are 15 credit hours. The student who declares a minor in Marketing, is not allowed to study MKT 350 nor MKT 470.
  • The student must earn a “C” grade or higher in FIN 301 in order to be eligible to join the Finance minor, a “C” grade or higher in ACC 101 in order to be eligible to join the Accounting minor, and a “C” grade or higher in MKT 301 in order to be eligible to join the Marketing minor.
  • All pre-requisites must be satisfied before registering in any of the above-listed courses.
  • In case the student failed any elective course in the minor program, the student can repeat that course or take an approved alternative course in the minor according to the above conditions.
  • All “minor” requirements must be completed before or in conjunction with the “major” requirements. Student who finishes all “major” requirements, are not allowed to declare a “minor”.
  • Students who declare a “minor” are not required to take another co-op program (the “major” co-op program is sufficient).
  • Both the “minor” and the “major” appear on the student’s transcript and graduation certificate.

University Employees

Prince Sultan University employees may be admitted and registered as part-time undergraduate students, in accordance with the procedures deemed necessary by the Rector of the University.

Article 6

Studying in some colleges may be on a full academic year basis, according to the rules and procedures approved by the University Council. An academic year comprises two levels.