Credit Transfer Policy
In order to recognize credits earned in other accredited institutions of higher education outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia or within Middle-East, the Deanship of Admissions and Registration at Prince Sultan University has formulated a policy that provides for credit transfer to its Preparatory and undergraduate programs.
This policy provides guidelines for dealing with credit equivalency for students who transfer from another university to PSU, students who transfer from one program to another within PSU, students who would like to study for a temporary period of time at PSU as visiting students, or those PSU students who would like to study at other universities as visiting students. Credits maybe transferred in accordance with the policy requirements.
- All transfer applications, along with an original transcript of
records are submitted to the Deanship of Admissions and Registration, which
considers the application and ensures that the applicant has fulfilled the
credit transfer conditions;
- The transfer of a student from another university to PSU maybe
the following conditions;
- No more than 34 credit hours (beyond the PYP) can be
transferred for the
- The course to be transferred should have been taught using the
language on which the equivalent course is being taught at PSU;
- For a course to be considered for transfer, the student must
obtained a minimum of (C ) grade in that course;
- The course must be equivalent in content and in the number of
hours to a course that is being taught at PSU;
- The student should have been enrolled at a college or
university that is
recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE);
- The transferred courses must have been studied within the last
semesters before the transfer. The University Council, however, has the
right to make any exceptions.
- The student must not have been dismissed from that
- The student must satisfy any other transfer provisions as
the University Council.
- A transfer student from a university in a native English-speaking
(United States of America, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia) maybe accepted
and the Preparatory Program at PSU will be waived if the student has been
enrolled in the bachelor’s degree program for at least one semester;
- A transfer student coming from a “quarterly-based” system will be
the standard ratio of two semester hours for three-quarter hours or two thirds
(2/3) of a semester hour for each quarter-hour or 2/3 of the course will be
equivalent to one (1) course at PSU in terms of transfer credit;
- A transfer student studied from a distance learning education,
education, online learning, or coming from an open university is not acceptable.
Otherwise, he/she has to start the Preparatory Year Program (PYP) at PSU;
- A transfer student studying in a two-year program or less, such as
Vocational, or Associate is not acceptable. However, the student will be considered
and eligible to take Preparatory Year Program(PYP) at PSU;
- Preparatory Year Courses can be transferred from other Universities
based on the
following additional criteria:
- If the student is transferring from a University that has a
to that of PSU in terms of the Number of Courses, Credit hours and
Course Content, then all passed courses are transferred;
- If the student obtained his/her PYP from a university with and
as the medium of instruction and completed for at least one semester
with 12 credit hours earned from his/her academic major, then only the
PYP program at PSU will be waived;
- If the student completed only the foundation year or PYP (Two semesters) at any other university regardless of the grades, will get the Intensive English Language and the First Part of the Preparatory Year Program (PYP) at PSU waived, then have a chance to take the PSU English and Math promotion exams;
- All other cases will be judged on a case-by-case basis by the
Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Research (VRAA&R), The Dean of
Admissions and Registration, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs in
the College for Women, after consultation with the concerned PYP program
- For a course considering for transfer, it must have been studied in a
College or a University. Work experience and professional training programs cannot be
considered as a basis for credit transfer;
- The Concerned College evaluates the course(s) that were taken by the
outside the University, based on the recommendations of the departments that
offer equivalent courses. The courses evaluated as equivalent are recorded in
the student’s academic transcript but it’s not included in the calculation of
his/her cumulative GPA;
- If it becomes evident, after a student’s transfer, that the
dismissed for disciplinary reasons, his/her enrollment is considered canceled
from the date of acceptance of his/her transfer to the University. No refund of
course fees will be given, and the student will be dismissed from the
- Official Transcript and course detailed syllabus must be submitted to the Registrar’s office for review and course evaluation;
- The Registrar shall review and evaluate the possible transfer of courses and prepare the Transfer Equivalency Course Form along with the course syllabus and forwarded to the concern department for further assessment of the course. (This will take five or seven working days upon submission);
- Once the course syllabus reviewed and evaluated, the concern department Chair/Director or the faculty evaluator must affix his signature in the “Transfer Equivalency Course” form and it will sent back to the Registrar’s Office;
- The Registrar shall then notify the transfer student of the approved transfer of credit hours accepted. Transferred courses will not carry the grade or honor points to the PSU record. Thus, it will not affect the student’s cumulative GPA
- If the course syllabus took at the previous university equivalent to any of the PSU offered courses, then the course credit hours will be transferrable and recorded to the student’s academic record at the beginning of the semester following the transfer.
Transfer Between Colleges
Transfer From One College To Another Within The University
A student may transfer from one college to another within the University in accordance with the following rules:
- A student may transfer from one college to another within the
to his/her completion of the sixth ac
- The student should continue to study all the courses for which he/she
registered at the level preceding the transfer and should comply with the rules
of adding and dropping of courses;
- The process of transfer from one college to another is recorded in
academic record, starting from the semester following his/her transfer;
- Students’ allowed to a maximum of two transfers from one college to
Note: All courses that have been studied by a student transferred from one college to another are recorded in his/her academic record, including the grades and the semester and cumulative GPAs obtained throughout his/her study at the respective University.
Transfer From One Major To Another Within A College
A student may transfer from one major to another within a college, in accordance with the following rules:
- A student may transfer from one major to another within his/her college at any time prior to his/her completion of the sixth academic level. The College Council, however, may consider exceptional cases where students already have completed the sixth level;
- The transfer process is recorded in the student’s academic record at the beginning of the semester following the transfer;
- Students’ allowed to a maximum of two transfers from one major to another within the same college. The College Council, however, may consider exceptional cases
Note: All courses that have been studied by a student who has transferred from one major to another are recorded in his/her academic record, including the grades and the semester and cumulative GPAs obtained throughout his/her study at the University.
A “visiting student” is a student who studies courses at another university or in any branch of the University to which he/she belongs without transferring. These courses is consider equivalent to those offered at the University, according to the following rules:
- The student must obtain the approval of his/her college before
his/her studies; His/her studies should be at a recognized college or
- The course should take outside his/her college should be
terms of the content, to a course required for graduation;
- If the visiting student is studying in one of the branches of the
to which he/she belongs, the rules under Article 47 apply.
- The University Council determines the maximum credit hours to be
to a visiting student from outside the University.
- The course grades credited to the visiting student will be
his/her academic record, but not included in the calculation of his/her
- Any other conditions required by the University Council should be
Student From PSU Visiting To Other University
Study during a regular semester or summer session outside PSU.
- The department council sets up a committee to study the outside courses which the student plans to take and determines the equivalent (PSU) courses; The student should submit a letter of application along with Visiting Student Application Form to the concern department chair indicating the course(s) wants to study at the other university; Note: Letter of application is subject for approval from the Department Council Committee. Visiting Student Application Form.
- The maximum total credit hours that can be transient/visit from outside the university is 34 and the student’s grade in each transferred course must not be lower than C. These grades are not included in the calculation of his/her cumulative or major GPA;
- Two (2) consecutive semesters or three (3) non-sequential semesters will be the maximum number allowed to study outside the university;
- The student must get a written approval from PSU to study as a visiting student in another university/college.
- Any other conditions required by the University Council should be satisfied.
Student From Other University Visiting At Prince Sultan University
For students enrolled at another university and would like to study for a temporary period of time at Prince Sultan University, the following rules apply:
- The student must be enrolled at a college or university that is recognized by MOHE. v The student must obtain a written approval from his current college/university stating the PSU course(s) that he/she is allowed to study at PSU. v The student must have his/her official transcript for at least two semesters from his/her university, to which he/she has been admitted.
- He/she must not be dismissed on disciplinary or educational grounds.
- All Financial rules are applied.
Note: To avoid any delays in the transfer process, the student must submit all required at least 10 working days before the beginning of classes.